Can you all believe that the first ever episode of Friends aired 20 years ago today?! I was only a few months old when the show started so I didn’t start watching it until it was close to the end of the run, however that doesn’t mean I am any less of a die-hard Friends fan than someone who watched it from day one!
Since it is the anniversary of the show starting, I thought I would compile a list of my favourite quotes from the 10 series of Friends, 2 from each season.
- “I’m not great at advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment instead?” – Chandler, Season 8
- “If you want to receive emails about my upcoming shows, then please give me money so I can buy a computer.” – Phoebe, Season 6
- “Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he’s getting out of the shower, he always put a towel around his waist.” – Chandler, Season 3
- “Sure I peed on her. And if I had to, I’d pee on any one of you!” – Joey, Season 4
- “You’re my lobster.” – Ross, Season 2
- “When we have a baby, there’s gonna be so much that we’re not able to control. The apartment’s gonna be a mess. I won’t have time to clean it. What if the baby gets into the ribbon drawer and messes up all the ribbons? What if there’s no room for a ribbon drawer because the baby’s stuff takes up all the space? WHERE WILL ALL THE RIBBONS GO?” – Monica, Season 9
- “It bodes well for me that speed impresses you.” – Chandler, Season 7
- “I’m in high school, in the middle of the cafeteria and I realise I’m totally naked. Then I look down and I realise there is a phone… there. All of a sudden, the phone starts to ring. I don’t know what to do. Everybody’s looking at me. Finally, I figure I’d better answer it. And it turns out it’s my mother. Which is very, very weird because she never calls me.” – Chandler, Season 1
- “PIVOT!” – Ross, Season 5
- “It’s not that common, it doesn’t happen to every guy and it is a big deal!” – Rachel, Season 4
- “I’m just pretending to watch the game so I don’t have to help out with stuff.” – Chandler, Season 8
- “I thought that it mattered what I said or where I said it. Then I realised the only thing that matters is that you, you make me happier than I ever thought I could be. And if you’ll let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.” – Chandler, Season 6
- “Oh, look. Ugly Naked Guy is decorating his Christmas tree. Wow, you should see the size of his Christmas balls.” – Phoebe, Season 2
- “Guys can fake it? Unbelievable! The one thing that’s ours!” – Monica, Season 9
- “If I were a guy, and…did I just say IF I were a guy?” – Chandler, Season 10
- “As a groom, all you have to do is show up and try to say the right name.” – Ross, Season 7
- “Condoms?” “You don’t know how long we’re gonna be stuck here. We might have to repopulate the world.” “And condoms are the best way to do that?” – Chandler, Joey, Chandler, Season 5
- “We were on a break!” – Ross, Season 3 (repeated later during the course of the show)
- “Y’know, I figure if I can make coffee there isn’t anything I can’t do.” – Rachel, Season 1
- “I got off the plane.” – Rachel, Season 10
And, of course, there is the obligatory Friends phrase:
21. “Hey, how you doing?” – mentioned by Joey in what feels like 80% of all Friends episodes.
So there you have it, 20 of my favourite Friends quotes to celebrate the shows 20th birthday!
– Taisie ♥